25/03/2009

Collins Calf Call

James Collins has been sidelined the last month after picking up a calf strain in the Bolton game and hasn't played a game for us since. He is now supposed to feature in the Welsh game against Holland on Saturday.

The knee jerk reflex is to start an outrage over this, we don't want him to come back injured from international duty do we? One does get a feeling that it may be a bit too early, considering he wasn't even fit for the bench last week.
I've seen people trying the argument that international games is easier on the body than a PL one, but a game against the attack minded Dutch will be no easy game for any Welsh defender.

We've seen bad things happen "recently" with Bellamy and also Freddie Ljungberg in similar situations, but maybe we should trust James and the Club on this one. I've decided to see it as an opportunity for West Ham to get a player in shape for the important game against Sunderland. And if things go from bad to worse, Tomkins display in the last outing was enough for me to consider him good cover. I think I have to accept that Collins call, assisted by our medical staff no doubt, may be better than my own.

No comments: