03/09/2008

“Don’t blame me, blame the board, I do my best with these loosers”.

There is a lot of talk about the future of the manager on forums and in newspaper articles today. At a first glance this seems a tad weird since the start of the season is OK so far and as some thinkers say “to win when the team does not perform at its best is a very good sign”.
However, the obvious lack of support Curbishley gets from the board is a telltale sign of a manager going down. When Anton was sold without the blessing of Curbishley, the lack of love the board have for it’s manager was as obvious as it gets. Not necessarily the fact that he was sold, but the way it was handled.

Curbs did not get any support from the board during the transfer window, and that may have several explanations. The board could be saving the money to build a tempting “war chest” as a lure to catch the big fish they hope to be the next manager (but then there are several other possible reasons!).

Curbishley has said that “The managers job is to manage the team at his disposal”. I actually think that almost all managers have said that, but the interesting thing is when they have said it. The statement actually reads “Don’t blame me, blame the board, I do my best with these loosers”.

The board and the manager does not seem to play well together and that can’t go on for long.

No comments: