07/09/2008

Impressive interviews - who cares?

Slaven Bilic, Gianfranco Zola, Roberto Donadoni and Michael Laudrup are names said to be left on the shortlist according to Hammers director Mike Lee. But I wouldn't be surprised if other names are still to pop up. Lee also said that Donadoni and Zola impressed greatly at the interview.

Before cracking down on that last statement I must say that I am very impressed that the board seem to have been efficient in the recruiting process so far.
I really shouldn't be surprised , since this is one of the advantages of having businessmen as owners. They know the importance of re-establishing the peace in an organization. They also know that a vacuum created by the lack of leadership is filled by speculation, rumours and uncertainty, leaving any organization underperforming. They also, in the process, take away 99% of the media interest in the Curbs sacking.
Nice work! - so far that is.

Impressions
Now back to the great impression the two Italians made on Mike Lee.
I always thought that actions speak louder than words. I’ve also been on enough job interviews to know that what you get out of those is not much more than a feeling for the blokes personality. If you’re lucky, or good, you probably will find out if the guy is a complete fraud (although “human resources”- people say that you will not be able to spot the psychopaths…). Granted that the board came to the conclusion that these people are not complete frauds, I’d say toss the rest of the impressions and go for their track records!

A sad example
Let’s take a look at me during my days at the university.
What do you think would tell you more about me – my intentions the week before a new semester or how I actually performed the last semester. This is a painful question that I for my own sake must leave rhetorical.
Now, what do you suggest, should we ask these guys how they intend to manage the team or should we go back and look how they performed on their last position?
I rest my case…
.

No comments: